Wooden furniture, doors and floors suffer significant wear and tear over time. The risk of scratches and blows on the wood is high due to contact or rubbing with objects, the fall of objects on the wooden surface or because the animals with which we live tend to scratch or bite the furniture. If we want to keep our wooden objects in good condition, it is important to find a solution and repair these scratches in the furniture made with this material.
Do you have wooden furniture with scratches? You can repair them with a few tricks. There are products that, well applied to the material, help to eliminate scratches and restore furniture. To discover how to repair scratches in wood with the most effective methods and tips to avoid them, we recommend that you continue reading this article. Read also: How to remove rust stains from plastic tub
How to fix deep scratches in wood table?
Scratches in wood can be repaired with a paste made of walnuts. The fats in this food and the pulp can easily melt into the material. To apply the walnut paste to repair scratches on wood correctly, follow these steps:
- You must first grind walnuts to obtain a fine flour or powder.
- Moisten this walnut flour with a little olive oil or water.
- Rub the mixture on your wooden furniture.
- Let it dry for the repairing effect.
- Remove the excess walnut paste by wiping the surface with a cloth.
- Try to repeat the process weekly to take care of your furniture from scratches.
Read also: How to clean white converse?
Cod liver oil
Another very effective product to repair scratches in wood is cod liver oil. Despite its usefulness, it is important to take into account its great drawback: the unpleasant aroma. Therefore, it is advisable to use this oil to repair outdoor furniture or that are indoors but in areas that you can ventilate a lot. Apply it properly with these steps:
- Take a capsule of cod liver oil and break it.
- Apply the liquid from the capsule by rubbing it on the scratched areas of the furniture.
- Wait several hours for the liquid to soak into the wood.
- Rub with a cloth to polish the furniture.
- Repeat the process twice a week.
Keep reading: Diy concrete pool
The coffee grounds are used to make a paste to fill cracks and repair scratches in the wood while staining and helping to match the color tone of the wood. You just have to apply them in this way:
- Moisten the coffee grounds with a little flaxseed oil, olive or sunflower oil, or just water.
- Apply the pasty mixture to the affected areas of the furniture and let it sit for several hours.
- Remove the remnants of the mixture with a brush.
- Repeat the process at least once a week, until you no longer see any unpleasant marks on the wood.
Wax to repair scratches on furniture
The consistency and malleability of wax make this material one of the best for repairing scratches on wooden furniture. If you opt for this trick to remove scratches in wood, use furniture polish, which you can buy in hardware stores and specialized stores in household products, following these steps:
- Pick up some wax with a cloth wrapped around your finger or with a soft sponge.
- Rub the wax into scratched furniture or fill with this wax to repair wood only the nicks or marks you see.
- Use a sponge to polish the furniture with wax.
- It will be ready, you do not have to remove the wax or wipe it with a damp cloth.
Plasticine can also be a solution to your doubts about how to repair scratches in wood since it is a moldable material that adapts very well to fill holes. Follow these guidelines to repair cracks in wood with modeling clay:
- Take the amount of plasticine that you consider necessary to fill the holes that you want to cover in the furniture. Bet on a brown color similar to wood that you have to repair or a light one that you can later paint.
- Apply the clay until you see that the scratches or marks are well covered.
- Apply glue, white glue or varnish with a stain the color of the wood you are repairing so that the clay is well fixed on the wood and is also well hidden.
Get solution of fridge smells like dead animal
Oil and vinegar
The mixture of olive oil and vinegar turns out to be a repairing and polishing product with which scratches are disguised and, in turn, is disinfectant, thus protecting the wood against the accumulation of bacteria, the appearance of mold and wood-eating insects, such as termites. Learn how to use the olive oil and vinegar mixture to repair scratches on wooden furniture with these steps:
- In a bowl, add the olive oil and the white or apple vinegar in similar proportions.
- Rub the wood with the resulting liquid.
- Wait a few minutes for the material to absorb the product.
- Wipe off excess liquid with a damp cloth.
- Repeat this process once a week or every so often if you see that it is necessary to improve the appearance of the furniture or wooden floor.
Sawdust to repair scratches on wood
To repair deep scratches in wood, opt for sawdust and glue to make a filler paste:
- Mix the sawdust with a small amount of glue or white glue.
- Add the product in the cracks in the furniture.
- Wait for the material to dry completely.
- To add brilliance to the furniture or to match the tone, you can apply paint or varnish.
Oil and toothpaste
Mixing olive oil with toothpaste helps repair scratches on wooden furniture because the two products act as fillers. You just need to apply them correctly:
- Moisten the toothpaste with a little olive, sunflower or other vegetable oil.
- Rub the mixture into the scratches on the furniture.
- Wait a few minutes for it to take effect.
- Remove the remains of toothpaste and oil with a damp cloth and you will see that the marks have been disguised. If you want a result with more filling because the marks are deep, it is best to opt for other methods such as sawdust and glue.
- To improve the appearance you can apply varnish or paint in the area.