Breast cancer is one of the diseases that mainly affects women, although in more rare cases, it can also affect men. There are many interesting facts about breast cancer. Although it is known how serious this disease is and what the risk factors may be, some ideas and beliefs have spread that can be a little confusing.
The problem is that many of these claims are now circulating worldwide; in one way or another, they generate anxiety in those who belong to the categories that have the greatest risk of incurring this disease or in those who are already struggling against it.
Table of ContentsToggle
Myth. It is incorrect to say that sugar consumption is a trigger or that it has the power to accelerate the development of cancer.
Although some researchers have noted that cancer cells consume more sugar than normal cells, it has not been concluded that this food aggravates this condition or that even giving up sugar cures it.
What can be said is that excessive sugar consumption can negatively impact the patient, causing obesity, diabetes, or other complications that can decrease quality of life and increase vulnerability to disease.
Myth. To date, there is no evidence to show the connection between a strong bump on the breast and the risk of developing cancer.
True. Going through menopause is already a risk factor in itself due to the hormonal changes that this entails.
In the case of premature menopause, it is very important to check yourself regularly as the risk is higher. The hormonal alteration, in this case, occurs earlier than it should, leading to changes in the body that should come later.
The risk is also greater when the woman has had her first period early, has had children after the age of 35 or has not had them, or if has used birth control pills throughout her life.
Myth. For some time, it has been heard that the use of deodorants is a possible risk factor. At present, there is no scientific evidence that demonstrates a relationship between coming into contact with the chemicals they contain and changes in breast tissue.
The issue is still being researched in countries such as Japan and the United States; This is because a few years ago, in the course of analyzes carried out on a group of women, the presence of particles from these products was detected, without being able to establish a certain relationship with the disease.
True. About 20% of breast cancer cases have a family history of this condition. The remaining 80% is related to other factors not related to genetics.
Women who know they have cases of breast cancer in their families must undergo regular check-ups from an early age.
True. This cancer can reappear in the same breast or in the other. Chemotherapy or radiation therapy significantly reduces the risk of this happening, but that doesn’t mean it can’t re-manifest.
Myth: Breast size has nothing to do with mammary gland size and the risk for a woman with small breasts is the same as for any other woman.