Dogs are facultative carnivorous animals by nature and, therefore, it is not usually thought that they like other foods, such as fruits or cereals. You indeed have to take into account that, as much as food likes your dog, it does not mean that it is good for him, but there are a lot of foods that people usually eat that you can offer to your dog and that, also, they bring a series of benefits to your body. In this article, we answer the question: is rice good for dogs? Without a doubt, it is a food that many people think of giving to their furry, even when they are sick to their tummy.
One of the foods that usually cause more doubts is rice because it is very common today and brings us great benefits, so maybe dogs too? So, we tell you if it is really good for dogs and how you can offer this cereal to your dog in the best possible way.
Is rice good for dogs or not?
Can dogs eat rice? The answer is YES, in fact, of all the cereals that you could offer to your dog, this will always be the best option, due to its properties and benefits.
Benefits of rice for dogs
In summary, we can say that these are the main benefits of rice for dogs:
- Source of carbohydrates, which helps your dog have more energy.
- Low in fat.
- Easy to digest and low in fiber.
- It does not usually cause allergies, so it is suitable for dogs that tend to have intolerances.
- It contains minerals such as magnesium, iron and zinc, essential for vital functions to be carried out correctly.
- Its low purine content helps prevent stone formation and is also a good choice for dogs with kidney problems due to its low salt content.
- All of this also makes it especially suitable for dogs that often have diarrhea or gastrointestinal problems.
How to prepare rice for dogs?
We explain how to prepare rice for dogs so that you can offer your furry complete and delicious dishes. Take note of these rice recipes for dogs with chicken and vegetables:
- Chicken and rice recipe for dogs.
- Remove the chicken’s skin, as it is not recommended for dogs or for us to consume the skin of industrially raised chickens because it accumulates many toxins and other residues. You should also remove the accumulations of fat with the help of a knife or scissors.
- It will be a good idea to add some pieces of carrot to the rice with chicken. This is also very beneficial for your dog, so wash it and cut it into small pieces.
- Add water to a saucepan or pot with a little olive oil and place the chicken and carrot pieces inside.
- When the water starts to boil, you can add the rice and let it boil for a few minutes.
- After about 5-7 minutes after adding the rice, lower the heat and let it simmer for about 20 more minutes and stir it from time to time so that it does not stick.
- When you see that everything is cooked enough, turn off the heat and let it cool. The rice should have absorbed all or much of the water.
- Now you will have to put everything in your dog’s bowl, always cutting the chicken into pieces and removing the bone (you can do it before cooking or after).
- You can also make this recipe with other meats, such as beef or pork, except if you give it to your dog for being sick in the belly.
Rice with the vegetable recipe for dogs
- First of all, you should know that the most recommended vegetables for dogs are cucumber, zucchini, carrots, peas and green beans. You can add whatever you want to the rice.
- Add water in a saucepan or pot with a little olive oil and also the vegetables you want to add, always chopped so that the dog cannot choke on them.
- After 5 minutes from when you have started to cook everything, you can add a few apple pieces. Surely your dog loves the flavor it has and it is also beneficial for his digestive system.
- Let it boil together for about 15-20 minutes.
- After this time, wait for it to cool down and that’s it. Offer it to your dog to take advantage of this food so beneficial for him.
If you wonder if dogs can eat brown rice the answer is yes, but it is better to offer it spontaneously and in small quantities. The recipes described above should not be the only food for your dog, either. They simply supplement its usual diet based on varied and suitable foods and help its digestive system if it has diarrhea or vomiting problems.
How to make rice water for dogs with diarrhea?
Another excellent option for dogs with diarrhea, especially if it is severe, is rice water. Its preparation is very simple and will help your dog regain its stools’ consistency, as long as it is not a serious pathology. In this case, it can also be good to drink rice water and boiled white rice.
Still, you will not notice as much change as a mild condition because being an aggravated problem will need specific treatment and may even need IV or taken to recover earlier. Follow these steps to know how to make rice water for dogs with diarrhea the easy way:
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. As you will use it as a natural remedy against diarrhea, should you add salt, oil, or any spices, only water under no circumstances?
When the water is boiling, add half a cup of rice and stir to avoid sticking. You will have to leave the rice simmer for about 20 minutes and stir it.
Finally and after this time, strain the rice and the water that remains in the container. It will be what you are looking for to give to your sick dog. Add the rice water to your dog’s bowl and invite him to drink. The recipes for rice with chicken and rice with vegetables described above are also good options against diarrhea in dogs. Still, if this problem does not stop in about 3 or 4 days, it is best to go to the vet to rule out pathologies that may be more serious and need veterinary treatment.