In a simple and detailed way, the differences between the intranet and extranet will be explained. The first has to do with exclusively internal information management, while the second does not deny the first and. At the same time, it has the capacity to expand beyond the traditional borders of the intranet.
When to use intranet?
It is very frequent that in your company you need to establish communication and create confidential information flows between different internal areas. When this need comes true, it is because it is time to use the intranet.
The intranet will serve as a corporate tool to share, confidentially, the intangible assets of your business or company; at any time or place and through the electronic devices authorized for such purposes.
Why use extranet?
Companies prioritize the use of extranet when it comes to sharing some data with their counterparts. Thus, they establish direct communication, without the need for excessive formal protocols, which limit the materialization of some ideas aimed at energizing the activity.
Each company participating in the extranet filters the internal information that it will share. Which is not in the public domain, but will be viewed by those who have access to it.
intranet vs extranet: Main differences
Here are seven key differences between intranet and extranet:
- Collaborative environment. Intranet maintains a collaborative environment at all times; while collaboration on extranet is carried out after agreement between the parties involved.
- Availability of information. Intranet guarantees information availability at all times; access to information on the extranet is for specific purposes only.
- Speed. Both intranet and extranet handle information at high speed.
- Share files. In the intranet, environment files are available to be shared. In the extranet, files are shared only for some activities that are carried out in conjunction with other companies.
- Security of the information. With intranet the documentation has demanding internal security protocols; on the other hand, with the extranet, the documentation has security protocols that depend on all those who participate.
- User certification. In the intranet there is certainty and way to validate the user at the moment; the possibility of identity theft, for various purposes, is more frequent on the extranet.
- Confidential handling of information. Confidentiality, at least within the company, is guaranteed with the intranet; however, with the extranet confidentiality can be violated by external and internal factors.
Results when combining the use of intranet and extranet
It is evident that the benefits of both tools can serve to maximize the interests of your company in a great way; therefore, it is very important to establish the parameters of use and thus, make the most of them in every way.
Although the daily use of your company does not require the use of tools other than the intranet; At any time your company will need to carry out tasks in conjunction with other companies, for which you must be prepared, with the extranet at hand.
You may also like to read https://giantchatter.co.uk/